SMDA13 Enforcement Powers Come into Force
Don’t forget that the following provisions of the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 came into force on 1st December:
- Section 1(3) (offence of carrying on business as scrap metal dealer without a licence);
- Section 8(9) and (10) (offence of failing to comply with notification requirements);
- Section 9 (closure of unlicensed sites);
- Section 10(5) (offence of failing to comply with requirement to display licence);
- Section 11(4) to (7) (offence of failing to verify supplier’s identity etc);
- Section 15(4) to (6) (offence of failing to comply with record keeping requirements);
- Paragraphs 3(5) and (6) and 5 of Schedule 1 (further provision about licences: offences of failing to apply to vary a licence, and making a false statement);
- Schedule 2 (closure of unlicensed sites).
Read more about the Scrap Metal Dealers Act on our dedicated page.